>

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Works for me Wednesday

I have sock issues, I like them to match, not just the same color, but also the same style and "wear level". This used to be a problem for me because we have 5 children, 4 of them are boys, so alot of our laundry looks the same. Here's what I do-and it's purely for my own sanity, like I said, I have 4 boys, they could care less, as long as they have socks to wear, I don't even think they care if they are clean socks or not.

As soon as I buy a package of socks for anyone I use a sharpie marker to number and initial each pair. So, for my husband it would be 2 socks(a pair) that say D1, then D2, and so on.

This is one of the best things I've ever done. Like I said a lot of our laundry looks alike, so one person used to end up with lots of socks and some people didn't ever seem to have any. Also, this makes it so that the pairs actually match, which is huge to me. I can't stand to see one sock that has been obviously worn down the street without it's protective shoe covering, matched up with a pristine new white sock.

It helps with the sorting too. Now even the youngest person in our family can match them and make sure the right person gets their own socks.

5 comments:

blah blah blah said...

I feel the same way, I want my socks to be paired by wear level, I don't bother with Ward's socks though. I also can't stand thinned or holey socks, it reminds me of a being a kid and having socks with tennis ball size holes in them, if my socks get holes they are gone. As the kids get older I like your sharpie idea.

wesley's mom said...

Exactly, as soon as they are thin or holey I get rid of them. I can remember having holey socks and underwear as a kid, I don't know if I hated it then, but I hate the idea of it now. I also hate when they start to get old and they aren't soft anymore, you know they get scratchy, I toss those too.

I'm sure this whole consumption with the condition of my family's socks is something I should explore with a therapist.

Heart of Wisdom said...

Simply Genius!

Robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

blah blah blah said...

"This is one of the best things I've ever done."

For some reason I doubt that, but if that statement were true it would be thoroughly depressing.

Socks are clean or dirty, sure its nice if they are similiar in color, but come on.

Do you write everyone's name on their tighty-whiteys? I would just make a pile of clean clothes in the floor and let them fight it out for the good stuff. Just an idea, I won't be offended if you don't do it.

-Ward

wesley's mom said...

Yeah, I had a pretty good idea you wouldn't "get" it.

If you knew anything about kids and their hygine habits you would know that it's laundry suicide to buy them white underwear!!

 
>